DFS Application Code: HPDFS-THES
HD Application Code: HDHM
More programme information and activities details could be found on the programme Facebook page or Youtube channel:
Before the COVID-19 pandemic, the number of visitors to Hong Kong and the hotel room occupancy rate reached a record high (over 65 million and 91% in 2018). Although the hotel industry has been experiencing an unprecedented challenge around the world since 2020, with relaxation of quarantine measures in many countries, it is expected that the industry will be recovered gradually in foreseeable future, and the subsequent demand for qualified manpower will become strong again in the local hotel industry.
The Higher Diploma programme in Hotel Management was launched in 2008. It is designed to provide a tailored curriculum that covers specific features of the hotel industry with a special focus on Hong Kong, and it is a multi-disciplinary study that prepares students for a rewarding career in the hotel industry. Upon graduation, graduates are expected to progress to further studies, or join the hotel management workforce either locally and overseas.
Programme Aims and Features
This programme was launched in 2008. It is a 2-year full-time programme that designed to provide a tailored curriculum covering specific features of the hotel industry with a special focus on Hong Kong, at a level commensurate with junior management. Moreover, this programme is equipped with a comprehensive training centre for hotel management, with facilities including mock-up guest room, reception counter and catering facilities, allowing this programme to provide professional training to the students and better respond to the education needs of the industry.
This programme is a multi-disciplinary study that encourages the acquisition of basic life and employment skills that prepares students for further studies or a rewarding career. A practical job placement of 6 months is an essential part of this 2-year training programme in the hotel management areas. All students in good standing have been given ample opportunities to work in around 40 deluxe hotels in Hong Kong including the Peninsula, Grand Hyatt, Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis, Rosewood, Landmark Mandarin Oriental, JW Marriott, Sheraton, Shangri-la, Renaissance and The Murray, Hong Kong, a Niccolo Hotel, etc.
Opportunities for Further Studies
Graduates are eligible to apply for admission to Bachelor’s degree programmes offered by local universities, including Year 3 of the 4-year, BSc (Hons) in Hotel Management / BSc (Hons) in Tourism Management offered by The Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
The list below shows the degree offers that our graduates/ students received in the past*:
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
BSc (Hons) in Hotel Management
BSc (Hons) in Tourism Management
BSc (Hons) Aviation Operations and Systems
BBA (Hons) Aviation Management and Logistics
- The University of Hong Kong
Bachelor of Arts
BSc Information Management
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
BSc Community Health Practice
BSSc Gender Studies
BSSc Global Studies
- City University of Hong Kong
BA Chinese and History
BA Media and Communication
BBA Business Analysis
BBA Business Operations Management
BBA Global Business Systems Management
BSocSc Asian and International Studies
BSocSc Criminology and Sociology
BSocSc Public Policy and Politics
- Hong Kong Baptist University
BBA (Hons) Human Resources Management Concentration
BBA (Hons) Marketing Concentration
*The above list is not exhaustive and only shows some of the examples.
Graduates are also eligible to apply for the below degree programmes offered by other institutions:
Other Local Institutions
- HKU SPACE International College
- Full-time, 2-year, Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) in International Festival and Event Management, offered by Edinburgh Napier University (UK) in collaboration with HKU SPACE International College (IC)
- Full-time, 18-month, Bachelor of Science (Honours) Hospitality Management, offered by University of Plymouth (UK) in collaboration with HKU SPACE International College (IC)
- Les Roches (Switzerland)
- Full-time, 12-18 month, BBA in Global Hospitality Management (Senior year entry)
- Glion Institute of Higher Education (Switzerland)
- Full-time, 12-18 month, BBA in International Hospitality Business (Senior year entry)
- Swiss Hotel Management School (Switzerland)
- Full-time, 12-18 month, BA (Hons) in International Hospitality Management (Senior year entry)
- Full-time, 12-18 month, BA (Hons) in International Hospitality and Events Management (Senior year entry)
- Full-time, 12-18 month, BA (Hons) in International Hospitality & Design Management (Senior year entry)
The outlook of the hotel industry of Hong Kong remains positive in the coming years, necessitating huge demands for well-trained personnel. There will be immense opportunities for graduates of this programme to develop their careers in the hotel industry locally and overseas.
Some of our graduates are working in deluxe hotels, including the Peninsula, Grand Hyatt, Four Seasons, InterContinental Grand Stanford, Mandarin Oriental and Sheraton.
Topick, 21 June 2019