The Diploma in Foundation Studies (DFS) programme is the one-year full-time programme providing students with the foundation needed to progress to the 2-year Associate Degree or Higher Diploma programme offered by the College. Designed for the HKDSE candidates, HKCEE holders or students with equivalent qualifications, the programme aims to equip students with a solid academic foundation.
Students will study a variety of broad-based courses, covering a wide range of disciplines. In addition, a number of generic courses are offered, which are designed to train students in language as well as numerical skills. Moreover, students are required to take 10 subjects during the year and progress to their selected Associate Degree or Higher Diploma programmes in the subsequent 2 years of study.
Applicants who wish to apply for admission to the Diploma in Foundation Studies (DFS) programme should note that:
- The qualification obtained after completing the programme is not recognised for civil service appointment. To meet the academic entry requirements of civil service appointment, applicants should obtain Level 2 in five subjects including Chinese Language and English Language in the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) Examination; and
- The qualification awarded by our College may not be recognised by other institutions for articulation to their sub-degree or other programmes; and
- Students will not be eligible for applying for the Financial Assistance Scheme for Post-secondary Students (FASP) administered by the Student Finance Office (SFO); and
- The DFS programme is below post-secondary level. Under the existing immigration policy, an application for a visa or entry permit to enter the HKSAR for study may not be considered if the applicant is not applying for a post-secondary programme.
Programme Aims and Features
Generic Skills courses are designed to help students improve their language proficiency, strengthen analytical capabilities and enhance numerical competencies;
General Education courses aim to offer students a broad-based training as well as an understanding of the different subject matters;
The comprehensive curriculum and strong focus on language training provide students with solid foundations required for future academic development;
Students will be able to explore and understand their selected area of study through field visits, workshops and out-of-class activities.
Opportunities for Further Studies
Students who have successfully completed the Diploma in Foundation Studies programme (DFS) can progress to the following 2-year Associate Degree / Higher Diploma Programme of their choice on admission:
- Associate of Applied Social Sciences in Communication, Public Relations and Journalism
- Associate of Applied Social Sciences in Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement
- Associate of Applied Social Sciences in Psychology
- Associate of Applied Social Sciences in Youth and Social Services
- Higher Diploma in Accounting – Accounting and Banking
- Higher Diploma in Accounting – Accounting and Financial Planning
- Higher Diploma in Accounting – Accounting Studies
- Higher Diploma in Business Management – Human Resource Management
- Higher Diploma in Business Management – Management and e-Commerce
- Higher Diploma in Business Management – Management and Psychology
- Higher Diploma in Business Management – Management Studies
- Higher Diploma in Business Management – Management with Business Law
- Higher Diploma in Medical and Health Products Management
- Higher Diploma in Nutrition and Food Management
- Higher Diploma in Sport and Recreation Management
- Higher Diploma in Sport Coaching and Sport Performance
- Higher Diploma in Food Health and Business Management#
- Higher Diploma in Hotel Management
- Higher Diploma in Tourism and Events Management
- Higher Diploma in Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Higher Diploma in Surveying and Property Management
# Upon completion of the Diploma in Foundation Studies (DFS) programme, students must satisfy all conditions specified by the programme administration before applying for admission to this 2-year Higher Diploma Programme.